The Headies, formerly known as the Hip Hop World Awards, is a music awards programme created in 2006 by the Nigerian Hip Hop World Magazine to honour outstanding accomplishments in the country’s music sector. Both well-known and up-and-coming performers take the stage at the yearly ceremony. HipTV is streaming it live for viewers all around Nigeria. The Muson Centre in Onikan, Lagos State, hosted the first and second iterations of The Headies. The Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos’ Victoria Island served as the location for the awards ceremony between 2010 and 2012. The yearly ceremony has featured hosts such as Darey Art Alade, D’banj, Dakore Egbuson, Banky W., Rita Dominic, M.I., Tiwa Savage, and Dr SID, majorly from the Nigerian media and Nollywood industry.
On September 4, 2022, the Headies was held in Atlanta, Georgia, in the United States. The greatest in the Nigerian music business were honoured at the 15th Headies. The Headies, which were held at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta for the first time outside of Nigeria, featured Grammy Award-winning musician Wizkid and Tems as the top winners.
The Next Rated category was won by BNXN F.K.A. Buju, who received a Bentley, while other winners included Davido, Wizkid, and others. The 2022 Headies awards were hosted by Anthony Anderson, an American actor, and Osas Ighodaro, a Nigerian actress.
The full list of the award winners is below.
- Best Rap Album – Olamide (Carpe Diem)
- Best Collaboration – Wizkid feat. Tems (Essence)
- Best R ‘n’ B Single – Wizkid feat. Tems (Essence)
- Album of the Year – Wizkid (Made in Lagos (Deluxe Edition)
- Best Afrobeat Album–Wizkid (Made in Lagos)
- Songwriter of the Year – Adekunle Gold (Sinner).
- Best Music Video – TG Omori (Champion – Fireboy DML feat. D Smoke)
- Artiste of the Year – Burna Boy (Nigeria)
- Best Male Artiste – Burna Boy
- Digital Artiste of the Year – Davido
- Humanitarian Award of the Year – Davido
- Best Recording of the Year – Patoranking (Celebrate Me)
- Producer of the Year – SARZ (Monalisa – Lojay and SARZ)
- Best Alternative Album – Ibeji (Intermission)
- Headies’ Viewer’s Choice – Arya Starr (Bloody Samaritan)
- Best Afrobeat Single – Fireboy DML (Peru)
- Best Reggae and Dancehall Album – Patoranking (Three)
- Best Vocal Performance (female) – Waje (Last Time)
- Best Vocal Performance (Male) – Oxlade (Ojuju)
- Lyricist on The Roll – A-Q (The Last Cypher)
- Best Streethop Artiste – Goya Menor & Nektunez (Amenor Amapiano remix)
- Best Rap Single – Ladipoe feat. BNXN (Feeling)
- Best Alternative Single – Flavour (Doings)
- Rookie of the Year – Fave
- Best Inspirational Single – Kcee & Okwesili Eze Group (Cultural Praise)
- Special Recognition-Dbanj (Talent)
- Hall of fame – Angelique Kidjo
- International Artiste Special Recognition – Akon & Wyclef Jean
- Best Central African Artiste of the Year – Innoss’B
- Best East African Artiste of the Year – Diamond Platinumz
- Best North Africa Artiste of the Year – Latifa (Tunisia)
- Best South African Artiste of the Year – Focalistic (South Africa)
- Best West African Artiste of the Year – Gyakie
- Special Recognition – Efe Omorogbe, Sunday Are, and Bose Ogbulu